Now moved... please feel free to stop by and visit me at http://ascatteredfocus.wordpress.com/!! =)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 216/365

Day 216/365
Day 216- Furry "friend"
Found this lil' guy near the water today. He's really not so friendly (luckily I erred on the side of caution and didn't let the kiddos touch him... even though he looks so soft), but it was fun taking pictures of him. From a quick online research, I've come to think he's a Tussock Moth Caterpillar, probably a Banded Tussock Moth Caterpillar. Not a 100% though.



Day 216/365
Just another view. We watched him for awhile. Caterpillars are a bit hypnotic you know!
Day 216/365
Under the water we found these. The Kids LOVE collecting shells, but today they were distracted by other things. Kayaks, radars, rock throwing, boats... fun!
Day 216/365
Finally, this picture just shows that I REALLY need a super zoom!!! So much going on in here that you can't really see without zooming in closer... or a boat!!! I'm super curious now to see what's over on that island. All sorts of action. Took a picture with my 250mm 'cause I could see SOMETHING going on. Cropped it for sharing here. If you zoom further, you can see two fun looking birds on a branch in the lower right corner, some guys on a dock thing in the middle of the river fishing, and hidden on the edge of the island some sort of BIG boat-looking thing. Who knew!! On another picture I took, there were boys fishing, an egret, and a heron. Looks like a FUN island. I wanna spy... or get over there and join the fun!! =P

8 comments:

Heidi said...

That fuzzy thing is CRAZY looking! I have never seen anything like it before. You really did get a great shot of that thing... Thanks for participating in my challenge Gretchen!

Michelle Renee said...

Interesting looking caterpillar. I don't think I've seen one with the antennae like that. Oh, and my vote is for a boat (much more fun that way!). :)

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

Yes, I do need the 500mm, you are so right. But I think I get more use from the wide angle. I am making everyone, within ear shot, crazy with my endless blabbering about these lenses! I can always rent the 500.

I believe the birds on the branch are cormorants. They don't have the oils on their feathers and need to air dry them. They are often seen driving under water and popping up elsewhere. I like to call the "clown" birds.

Ashley Sisk said...

That caterpillar is really cool - I especially like the second shot.

snapshots2011 said...

Love that first shot of the caterpillar-- great focus!

Laurie E. said...

Awesome pictures...aren't caterpillars fun? Thanks for linking up!

Nadege, said...

Great images. I love the second shot of the little caterpillar, wonderful DOF.

Annabella said...

Congratulations on your High Five from Heidi - a fabulous shot!